Charlton Athletic 1 Manchester City 0

Last updated : 04 November 2006 By Footymad Previewer
Bottom of the table Charlton Athletic gained only their second Premiership victory of the season with a narrow 1-0 win over Manchester City at The Valley.

Charlton were made to battle all the way and they rode their luck but also defended stubbornly, clearing three Man City efforts off the line and the visitors also hit the post. But in a ten minute spell after half time Charlton battered the City defence and only two great saves from goalkeeper Nicky Weaver denied Charlton the second goal which they were desperately looking for to make their win more comfortable.

But in the end it was another stylish goal from their England striker Darren Bent that gained them the three points which could prove so vital for them as they try to climb up the Premiership table.

The encouraging signs were there as this was the third Premiership match in which they had kept a clean sheet but they cannot keep relying on Bent to score all their goals.

Manchester City's dismal away form is still with them and they have managed just one point from 18 on their travels this season and they have now lost 19 of their last 24 away games which must be a big concern for Manager Stuart Pearce.

Youngster Micah Richards saw two headers cleared off the line by Charlton as Joey Barton's devastating corners caused panic in the home defence and Charlton took the lead after 28 minutes after a spell of City pressure.

Jerome Thomas curled in a great cross and Bent rose above the visitors defence to put his powerful header past Weaver for his sixth goal of the season. It took a great save from Charlton keeper Scott Carson in first-half injury time to deny City's Georgios Samaras an equaliser.

Charlton started the second half in determined mood with Brian Hughes replacing Dennis Rommedahl after the break and Talal El Karkouri fired a free kick just wide before Weaver produced a brilliant double save firstly denying Andy Reid and then stopping Bent's effort from the rebound.

As City brought on Hatem Trabelsi, Bernardo Corradi and Darius Vassell, who had earlier replaced the injured DaMarcus Beasley, caused the home defence a few problems.

Carson had to make another fine save to stop Corradi's header and with time running out Trabelsi's shot through the Charlton defence, but it hit the post and City knew it wasn't going to be their day.

Depending on the result of the late match involving Sheffield United, this win could take Charlton off the bottom of the table and extended their unbeaten Premiership run to three matches.