Charlton 2 Blackpool 1

Last updated : 05 January 2002 By David Robson

Charlton came from a goal down to beat Blackpool with two goals in two second-half minutes at The Valley.

Graham Stuart and Jason Euell turned the FA Cup third round tie on its head after John Hills had given the Seasiders an early lead. Hills put the visitors in front after being played onside by Jorge Costa on 18 minutes. But Charlton battled back to dominate the second period, and Stuart equalised from the penalty spot after Brian Reid handled after 72 minutes. Euell struck his eighth goal of the season from close range just two minutes later after a goalmouth scramble.

Blackpool started the match strongly and forced two early chances, with Ian Marshall and Martin Bullock both failing to connect from left-wing crosses. Charlton's Kevin Lisbie should have given the home side the lead after six minutes when played in by Euell, but his right-foot shot was well held by Blackpool goalkeeper Phil Barnes. But Alan Curbishley's side were rocked soon afterwards when Hills struck. Paul Simpson's through-ball caught the Charlton defence square and Hills found himself in acres of space with his markers appealing for offside. But the linesman kept his flag down and Hills swept the ball into the top corner.

Euell and England full back Chris Powell both had chances before the half ended, but each player was wasteful. The home side looked a different outfit in the second half after a stern talking-to from boss Curbishley and dominated proceedings from then on. Euell was denied an equaliser by the woodwork after 54 minutes.

The home side's succession of wasted chances came to an end when Reid handled the ball in his own penalty area and Stuart stepped up for the spot-kick. Barnes was unlucky after reaching his low drive but Stuart's shot found the bottom corner. Blackpool's hopes of an upset were ended two minutes later when Euell grabbed his third goal in three games after a goalmouth scramble. Substitute Shaun Bartlett struck a close-range shot which Barnes could only parry to the feet of Euell, and he made no mistake from two yards.