Charlton 1-1 Rotherham- Match Report

Charlton and Rotherham share 1-1 drawCharlton and Rotherham claimed the share of the spoils 1-1 at The Valley to earn the visitors only their second point of the season.The Millers were on course for their first win after Farrend Rawson had put them ahead before the break only for Patrick Bauer to earn the Addicks a draw.Although Rotherham started off on the front foot, it was the home side who carved out the first opening, when Johann Gudmundsson forced to gather debutant opposition goalkeeper Lee Camp down low to his left after six minutes

The Rotherham shotstopper was called into action again two minutes later, when he had to palm away an effort from Jordan Cousins from 11 yards out, after the midfielder was able to work his way past two defenders

Cousins was denied yet again from Camp, this time after 15 minutes, when his shot from a headed pass by Tony Watt was tipped over the bar with a one-handed save

The game settled down somewhat after the initial bursts of activity from the home side, with Rotherham starting to look more composed in their passing and possession

Vadis Odjidja-Ofoe dragged a half-chance from 20 yards wide, just before the half-hour in their first meaningful effort

The visitors took the lead after 38 minutes, but not without a degree of controversy

Referee Keith Stroud awarded a corner despite a free-kick appearing to come off a Rotherham player

The visible anger of the home fans was compounded further when Rawson came in unmarked at the far post to slot home from close range

Charlton came close to making amends four minutes after the restart, when Gudmundsson was able to control the ball in the box, before cutting inside and shooting, but managed to turn his effort well over the bar

To their credit, Rotherham were not content to sit on their solitary goal lead, and a Tony Andreu header was foiled by a spectacular point-blank save from Nick Pope from just six yards out, on the hour mark

The frustration from Charlton players and supporters alike was finally overcame on 65 minutes, when substitute Simon Makienok was able to cross the ball in from an acute angle, for Bauer to turn home from three yards out

Goalkeeper Camp was further tested a minute later, when Tony Watt forced him to scramble away from 25 yards, before Gudmundsson turned a free-kick from 20 yards out just wide after 68 minutes

Rotherham substitute Chris Maguire forced Pope into a flying save after 77 minutes with a screamer from 25 yards, however neither side was able to make a late breakthrough for all three points

Source : PA

Source: PA