Charlton 1-1 Cardiff- Match Report

Charlton 1-1 Cardiff: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.Gudmundsson strike earns point A stunning late, long-range strike by Johann Gudmundsson earned 10-man Charlton a 1-1 draw against Cardiff in a pulsating clash at The Valley.Tom Adeyemi gave the visitors an early lead before Callum Harriott was shown a red card for a high tackle on Craig Noone

Charlton felt the visitors should have been reduced for 10 men, but Sean Morrison was shown just a yellow after he pulled down George Tucudean when through on goal

However Charlton kept fighting and Gudmundsson levelled two minutes before full-time.It was a slow start from Charlton as Cardiff snapped into the early tackles and denied them any time on the ball

The pressure soon told and home goalkeeper Neil Etheridge had to act swiftly to gather a Peter Whittingham corner just as Kenwyne Jones was about to pounce.The opening goal arrived on 11 minutes

Aron Gunnarsson launched a long throw into the box and Sean Morrison rose well and flicked on at the near post before Adeyemi placed his header expertly beyond Etheridge.Just two minutes later and the same tactic almost worked again

Gunnarsson's throw into the danger zone was half-cleared and Adeyemi fizzed a right-footed half-volley narrowly over from 20-yards.The Addicks pressed forward but rarely troubled David Marshall in the Cardiff goal

Harriott, Charlton's pacey winger, had some joy down the right against Declan John but when he wriggled free and powered towards the box his cross was well intercepted by Ben Turner.It was Harriott's final contribution

On 32 minutes his ill-timed tackle on Noone was late and high

Noone crumpled to the floor in agony and referee Mick Russell quickly flashed his red card.Charlton responded well and created their best chance of the game on 38 minutes

Yoni Buyens played a clever ball into the box and Charlton's Romanian striker George Tucudean fired in a powerful near post volley that Marshall was forced to beat away for a corner.The hosts created the first opening of the second half on 52 minutes

Buyens picked-out Gudmundsson in the box who turned well but shot straight at Marshall.Charlton, playing with 10-men, continued to press

The impressive Gudmundsson whipped in a corner and Tucudean's near post flick rattled the outside of Marshall's post.Then came the controversy

On 63 minutes Morrison, the Cardiff defender, hauled down Tucudean who was through on goal

This crowd chanted for a red but the referee issued a relieved looking Morrison a yellow

To add to the agony, Gudmundsson cracked the post from the resultant free kick

Marshall then denied Gudmundsson with a fine save on 70 minutes before Morrison cleared off the line after Tucudean's close-range flick from Jordan Cousin's shot had beaten Marshall.However Charlton gave it one last push and with two minutes left were rewarded

Gudmundsson picked up the ball 30-yards out and for once Cardiff's defence failed to get tight

The Icelander took aim and lashed home a superb left-footed effort into the top corner

And it could have been even worse for Cardiff had Igor Vetokele not skied an effort way over the bar when he was clean through on goal with the very last kick of the game

Source : PA

Source: PA