Charlton 0-3 Burnley- Match Report

Burnley thump Charlton to claim Championship title

Burnley were crowned Sky Bet Championship champions with a thumping 3-0 win over already-relegated Charlton at The Valley.

Each goal was greeted with a chant of 'Champeones' from the visiting fans in the Jimmy Steed Stand, and a chorus of 'We want Roland out' by the home supporters.

The Clarets' celebrations during the match were marred by protests from Charlton fans, with the game being constantly interrupted as a number of flares were thrown onto the playing area and a fan ran onto the pitch.

Sam Vokes scored the opener after 20 minutes as the statuesque Charlton defence failed to deal with a Stephen Ward cross and were duly punished.

Burnley doubled their lead four minutes after the break when Andre Gray found George Boyd and he netted with a left-foot shot.

Gray added to his assist with a powerful finish after being picked out by Dean Marney to seal the win.

Despite the hostile home crowd unhappy at the club's owners, the Addicks gave it a good go, especially in the first half.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson forced a good save from goalkeeper Tom Heaton with a powerful low drive and was involved in Charlton's best move of the match.

He picked up a ball from Nick Pope and fed Ademola Lookman who found Callum Harriott in space but his effort failed to match the build-up.

Burnley were already promoted and became champions in style, a cherry on top of the B#170million bonanza coming their way for returning to the Barclays Premier League.

Marney was passed fit after recovering from a hamstring problem and started for the Clarets and soon made his presence felt in midfield.

Charlton were without striker Yaya Sonogo, missing with a hamstring injury, and defender Patrick Bauer who is still struggling with an ankle injury.

But they were able to welcome back Jordan Cousins who started in place of Johnnie Jackson.

Charlton skipper Jackson replaced Gudmundsson after 66 minutes of what many believe to be the 25-year-old Icelander's final game for the Addicks.

Burnley's third goal was greeted with a red flare thrown onto the pitch by a home fan but it was quickly dealt with.

Another flare was hurled when a Charlton fan ran onto the playing area with a small banner before being caught by stewards.

Hundreds of Burney fans invaded the pitch at the final whistle in jubilant celebration, Charlton fans magnanimously allowed them their moment, but some Addicks supporters scuffled with police and stewards in front of the tunnel area.

The home fans then congregated in front of the main stand to peacefully protest against the Belgian owners and were joined by Burnley supporters.

Source : PA

Source: PA